A-Shore story

So much for Kalima, Lava, heavy winds and wonderfull people, Cesar Manrique and a few places where food was great and the staff always welcomming. Goodbye Lanzarote, we’ll be back!
After a 5 day stay at the very professional Rubicon Varadero (with special thanks to ) I could welcome the crew I choose for crossing to mainland Spain. And what a crew it turned out to be!
Frenk, the undefinable one extraordinaire, who catered us, who was the realiable second hand to everybody in everything mostly while telling the most unreliable stories (who, as he mentioned at the end of each story, were all about 20% true) The guardian of high spirits and a million laughs, Frenk, womaniser, good karma guy or in brief ‘Amsterdammer’;
Roland, the one that turned out to be my second in command, who turned the boat completely inside out before leaving and along the way ‘improved’ some things here and there. He can be decribed as the reliable one with a slight touch of neurotic competitiveness on my otherwise so easy going cruiser. Great guy, steady, sturdy, focussed, … he could be me!;
Kees, already for the 3th time a crewmember was as always the steady hand on the ruther, the keen observer of clouds, winds, waves and Eric (see below) and the niced, friendliest, calmest, …
And because every boat needs one, we had a mermaid. Normally situated at the bow with ferm breasts carved in wood, now we just called him Eric. A great discussion peace and space filler, food absorber and night watch (who needed to be watched at night … by Kees)
Normally I would now go into the specifics of the crossing. But i’d rather talk about the ‘petit histoire’. My hubby came over to Lanzarote just to wave me goodbye. Unfortunatly, the waving had to be done from an ICU bed in the hospital. A day before I planned to set sail he was rushed to the ER and admitted. Some nasty bug occupied his lungs and in no time he started to run a dangerously high fever (39,8 C). But strong as he is, Antibiotics and Steriods got him better quite fast so I did not postpone my departure. I kissed him goodbye in the hospital (wearing a mask) and off we went. Hey - I’m a ICU nurse, i’m not easily impressed by nasty bugs and slimy coughs; certainly not when my man can still complain about the hospital food while getting oxygenated … .
The trip was great. Good weather and fair winds untill the second to last night. Luckily my self unadmitted patient was able to keep in touch with us over the sat phone and gave us good weather forcasts. So we were able to avoid the major part of the ruff weather that passed us on the 4th night. And, after getting out the hospital, flying to Belgium, taking the car (after ‘en passant’ selling our house) and driving 2.300 km, we arrive 5 days later to be greeted by my better half, standing on the pontoon in Portimao Portugal. Basically, his journey was at least as challanging as ours and he did it alone! All hail the writer of this story!
Next destination … Valencia! Come back soon for more!

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

25 - 31 Oktober 2019 Valencia - Calpe - Valencia

Post lockdown sailing : Balearen juli - september 2020

Sail 2022